Wednesday morning I left for work and all seemed fine. When I brought Kenta to urgent care that evening, it didn't even dawn on me that I might not bring him back home. But there I was staring at a $4,000 bill and knowing even if he got the surgery to unblock his urinary tract, it might just be a temporary cure. I had a little over $4,000 in my savings account. Not only was I heartbroken about not just paying for the procedure but I was devastated I was even contemplating letting my four year old friend, the one who has made me smile every day I've known him, the one who inspires me to love life as much as he does, go.
The first time I forced Kenta into his carrier to go to his annual vet appointment in 2024 he thrashed against the doors of his cage violently yelling at the top of his lungs (his normal meow is a timid squeak belying his massive size). It wasn't so much being trapped as it was possibly losing the best home of his life. He LOVES his meals. He adores his brother Alias. He's curious about his sister Norma. He loves his living room picture window view of the world passing by. He loves his living room cat tree/bed in another living room window, the one Thompson used to sleep in. He loves looking from the dining room window at the rabbits and birds in the backyard after he eats his dinner.
I cannot give a cat a bigger compliment than being comparable to my first cat, Mr. Max. But of all the cats I've been lucky enough to know, Kenta most reminds me of Mr. Max. He purrs easily and often. He loves my company but most certainly only on his terms. He loves watching the outside world from the safety of a window view. He doesn't drool when he purrs like Max but Max didn't have a favorite toy like Kenta's catnip stuffed hedgehog, Porky (who might be a porcupine) who he carries around the house until I bring Porky back up to where I think he belongs. Kenta obviously disagrees because he always brings Porky to a different place in the house.
Kenta loves food. So after his dinner I walk upstairs with him to get him from stealing his siblings' meals. He's rewarded with treats. But the best thing is, and I don't know how this started, he won't race up the stairs but match my own steps up the stairs. The few times he's forgotten this and raced up before me, I playfully scolded him and almost always we walk up together. I LOVE THAT and feared with no more treats with him being on a strict diet we'd lose that moment of togetherness. But he seems to be OK getting fed a few morsels of his dried food as treats. I hope this continues.
One of the last things we went through during my partial hospitalization for depression and anxiety a couple years ago was to tap into the feeling of gratitude, probably the best antidote for mental health struggles. Take a small moment to be grateful for just the littlest of things... a moment in nature, a small accomplishment, a favorite song, a friend, family, a favorite food... all the little things, moments that we don't think twice about but really should.
I can't even begin to express how meaningful the support so many of you have shared these past few days has kept me going, has kept my spirits up. I'm grateful for having met and known so many wonderful people during different phases of my life that I'm still in touch with and for those of you currently in my life. I'm grateful you truly understand how my love for Kenta, this random cat, who I adore so deeply because of who he is and what we've shared together the past few years.
I'm truly truly grateful…

3 comments:
grateful for your friendship even if it’s “ social media “ and we understand how much stress and anxiety this caused. pets, well at least to ME, mean more than 98% of the population out there, and that includes my own family members.
I hope you and kenta, alias and norma have many happy healthy years ahead
~~~~…de gurl, laura
kenta…dood…bee well, get well, stay well buddy. eye noe vetz iz just tryin ta help, but ther $$$$$$ iz bee yond crazed theeze dayz. we ben ther sew we understand. pleez note, if for any reezon ya hafta haz de pro seed yur, with
yur …partz….ππ pleez ta tell yur dad unkle boomer had thiz N him lived past 19 yeerz oh age
π‼️πΈπΎ
oh Kenta, i hatez dee prisoner transport unit also. when i have to git cornered and shoved into it i yam scared that dee mum izza gonna takes me somewhere and leave me and i will neber git home wif my mum agin. win i git home finally i am so berry happy.
frum dee mum: Gidget also gits "treats" that are really just a different brand of dry food. and let me tell you, she screams and fights with the carrier but is so shy and timid for the vet. she's my best friend and she is my world. i do not have any children, she IS my baby girl. she takes cares of me and i take care of her.
Kenta we hope you are all back to normal soon. remember to drink plenty of water.
Once thing I have learned is that the cat community is such a caring group. I have been in your shoes so I know the anxiety and fear you felt/are feeling. I hope Kenta is feeling better and remains problem free. If there’s anything I can do to help, please don’t hesitate to reach out. ~Sue
Post a Comment