Thursday, July 17, 2008

Wrong Lesson

When Theo is in the upstairs bathroom he has this habit of closing the door behind him. I try to discourage him from doing so because if I'm not around he may find himself trapped. And if he finds himself trapped he won't have access to important things like a litter box.

I wonder if he picked this habit up from me, because the only door I consistently close on the boyz is the bathroom door.

Last night I decided to teach Theo a hard lesson when he went in the bathroom and closed the door behind him. I decided I was going to leave him in there for a long time even if he started mewing and crying to be let out. So I was watching some TV and heard him meow. And meow. And meow. I did nothing.

It dawned on me however that Diego has been spending a lot of time in the bathroom sleeping on the tile in the hot summer air. Since I hadn't seen him for a while it occurred to me that he might be an innocent victim in this attempt to teach somebody else a lesson.

A few more minutes went by and then I heard this big crash as if someone let the glass shower door swing quickly shut. I got up and opened the bathroom door to find the sight of Diego-san hanging half over the shower door. He had launched himself from the nearby sink in an attempt to see what was behind the glass shower door. He clearly didn't know what to do seeing the length of the drop and the difficulty and strength needed for pulling himself all the way over the door. This was the second time he had attempted this brave exploration and the thought briefly entered my mind that I was going to try to teach another kitty the consequences of doing something he really shouldn't do and leaving him to find his own way out of the mess. But I decided that would be mean and I helped him down. I even opened the shower door to let him see that there really is nothing that interesting on the other side.

I don't know what to do about Theo's unexplainable need for a little bathroom privacy.

6 comments:

Tiki, Kirby, and StanLee said...

I like to close the bathroom door too. It's fun to slam it in the woofies face! Sometimes I even shut him in here with me and that makes him cry because he can't get out.

Tiki

P.S. I can open it back up by sliding my paw under the door and pulling it back open. It never latches all the way.

Daisy said...

I sure wish I could learn how to close the bathroom door!

Denise said...

Well you could block the door so it won't shut when you're not in there, if you can learn a new trick...

Ana said...

Chica can just open doors, especially closet doors. A cat who cares to close doors is amazing :-)

Tiki, Kirby, and StanLee said...

We just remembered that our cousin Merlin has a foam thingie on the basement door so that someone doesn't accidently close it. (His litter box is in the basement.) It looks like a foam C, slides over the top edge of the door and is marketed to prevent a cat's tail from being pinched. It is easily removable for when you actually want to shut the door. Mommy got it for him at Petsmart.

Dma said...

sure denise... always taking theo's side...

and thanks for the info riley. i'll have to go to petsmart and look for the foamy thing.