Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Multi-Cats

I don't think I've told the story here how I actually ended up with three cats.

When my last cat, Max, passed away I wasn't sure if I would get another cat. It was just too hard to deal with all the events at the end and it was months afterward when I'd still be looking around the corner for Mr. Max to appear. My thinking began to change when I had a guest, L- over. She told me that I needed to adopt a cat because there were so many in need of good homes and obviously I could provide one.

That's when I decided to get not one cat, but two. I figured having two around would not only allow them to keep each other company when I wasn't home, but when the time came and one of them passed away, at least I'd still have the other around to help me cope.

I was of course very fortunate to find Thompson and Diego. They were in a foster home together and the shelter wanted them adopted together since they got along so well. Adopting Thompson, who I guess is a special needs cat although he really doesn't have any special needs, helped seal my decision. It felt great giving the boyz a permanent home, just like L- had mentioned.

A couple of years after adopting Thompson and Diego-san, it occurred to me that when one of them eventually passes on, the other will be as devastated as I. So that was when I decided to introduce a third cat into the house.

Again, I was very fortunate to find Theo- and when I met him, I knew he was the one.

Of course my logic in all this is probably how people end up with 29 cats. Fortunately my city's ordinances limit three to a house unless you have a permit for more. That means my house will remain a tri-cat house.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I would love to have more cats and could easily become one of those crazy cat ladies. After I adopted Kellie I thought often of getting another, but indecision meant I never did. Now, my condo board has introduced a new law that doesn't allow new animals, but lets you keep the pets you currently have, so there goes that idea. Although, I'm sure no one would notice one more little face in the window : )

Shelley