Monday, June 25, 2007

Captain Jack

I've been sitting at my desk all morning with tears in my eyes, sad over the death of a cat I never even met.

About a month ago- Theo's foster mother, -D, emailed me about a small tuxedo cat she was fostering named Captain Jack. Like Theo, Jack had sustained an injury that essentially prevented him from using his back legs. But Jack's injuries were worse than Theo's in that they affected some internal organs as well.

Jack ended up in a loving home where he got to meet and play with several other cats. Every time I heard how Jack was doing I'd go home and update Theo- feeling as if Jack was a little lost brother/kindred spirit to Theo.

Over the weekend despite the many efforts from Jack's co-foster moms his continuing and worsening health problems led to the decision to euthanize him.

It sounds as if Jack really touched everyone who met him (and a few of us who didn't) with his sweet playful personality. Reading about him made me appreciate my own boyz all the more- particularly Thompson and Theo- who both had such traumatic beginnings to their lives. I'm grateful that after sustaining severe injuries both Thompson and Theo, like Jack, were brought to people who did all they could to ensure that they'd get the treatment and love needed to give them a second chance on life.

I'm so thankful that my boyz are all relatively healthy and happy and for all of the joy they've added to my house. I also feel blessed that even though I never got to meet Captain Jack- he did touch my heart in a substantial way. That type of thing is something that shouldn't be taken for granted.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh NO! I too read about Captain Jack. I saw the video "Gotta Go Practice" had on her blog and I instantly fell in love too. I guess it's pretty special that a little kitten that didn't have long on this earth had so many people fall in love with him.