Thursday, September 20, 2007

OMG

Diego-san scared the #$@% out of me yesterday. I had a meeting near my home in the afternoon so I got home early enough to have time to do some paperwork upstairs before my evening softball game. I hadn't seen Diego since feeding him his dinner and I knew this was a little strange so I went downstairs to see what he was up to.

I looked around and didn't see him and then noticed a big hole in one of the living room window screens. My heart jumped and I immediately went outside fearing the worst. The street in front of my house is a major bus line so during the evening rush hour there is a constant flow of cars. I opened the front door and immediately heard and saw Diego. He had hopped up on the ledge in front of my office window and was meowing away. He wasn't even paying attention to the rabbit that sat about ten feet away.

I went over and picked him up and I could feel him trembling and his heart pounding. I brought him back inside not sure if I should scold him or hug him. I did a little of both.

Last month I found him hanging out a hole in my bedroom screen thankful he didn't leave the house. Since then I had made a conscious effort not to open the windows enough for him to lean against the screen. I guess I left the window open a little too far this time.

This excursion will either embolden him to try and get outside again or will have frightened him enough to stay safe and sound inside. He really hasn't been outside much in his life having been brought to a shelter after he was born. I did take him for a few walks a couple of summers ago.

I now have to look at finding thicker screens that hopefully he won't be able to rip.

Thank god he didn't wander away further than he did.

3 comments:

HRH Yao-Lin said...

oh dear how terrifying. Glad he made it home and safe though.

Starbuck and Torrey said...

Nice to meet you! We've enjoyed reading your blog!

Unknown said...

OMG is right! I have escaped 3 times in my life and my Mum was hysterical.