Thursday, September 06, 2007

Consistent vs. Reasonable

There are a couple of Theo's behaviors that always lead to scoldings but now it occurs to me he may have justifiable reasons for both behaviors.

He has this habit of going into a room and closing the door behind him. I haven't liked him doing this because I'm afraid I won't be home and he'll do this and he'll be trapped in a room without water and a litter box. (Though Thompson and Diego would probably appreciate the peace.)

Another thing he does is whenever I want privacy and I close a door, he'll beg and scratch to get into the room. He doesn't like me restricting his access to me even though moments before I close the door he'll be in an entirely different part of the house paying no attention to me whatsoever.

These are both ongoing long time habits and it finally hit me yesterday I'm being inconsistent with him. Maybe all he wants when he closes a door behind him is a little privacy. And when he's meowing at me because I've closed a door on him, maybe he is just pointing out the fact I don't let him do the same thing.

Hmmmm... Maybe there is a method behind Theo's madness.

No comments: