Friday, August 17, 2007

Just Hanging Out

A couple of weeks ago I wrote about Diego-san's little sister and how every time I come home to see this other black cat wandering the neighborhood it stops my heart thinking my boy has gotten out of the house.

Well Diego gave me quite the scare last night. I finished up my dinner and was doing the dishes. I noticed I hadn't seen or heard any of the three boyz for a while- usually a sign they are getting into something they shouldn't. I went to investigate. I saw Thompson lying on the carpet of the main level bedroom. I went into the bedroom and saw Theo and Diego both in the cat tree next to the open window.

Diego was half inside the house and half outside the house. The screen to the window had torn and he hung precariously outside taking in the smells. He easily could have slipped his entire body out the hole in the screen but for whatever reason had chosen not to do that.

I didn't want to scare him into jumping out of the house nor did I want him to think he was in trouble- he had merely leaned too hard on the screen. The screen had a slight tear in it before so his weight must have ripped the hole even larger. I calmly went over and moved him out of the window. I brought him to the kitchen to another open window and he seemed OK with that.

He hasn't been outside very often- just a few walks we took a couple of years ago. So despite all his bravado and his unmatched need to explore- maybe that big world out there even scares him a little.

2 comments:

Daisy said...

Diego! You almost had a very big adventure! Thank goodness you did not go all the way Outside. Maybe you need to get a stroller...

Unknown said...

Oh dear that was a close one! I am surprised that Diego didn't go all the way out, after all he is quite the explorer.