Saturday, November 11, 2006

Hey Dude, I Need Some Attention

Diego-san has really been misbehaving the past few days, likely because I haven't been around much. There are essentially three things he does that gets him in trouble and he managed to do all three the other evening:

1) He likes to scratch the living room sofa even though there is a scratching post sitting half a foot away;

2) He likes to try to crawl up the window screen on the upstairs window. This has led to me not ever opening that window since the screen has tears in it and I don't like the idea of him leaning against the screen of a second story window.

3) He likes to swat the water out of the water dish. I'm not sure what explains this particular behavior. I read in a newspaper that some cats are far-sighted so they have difficulty determining where the top of the water is in their dish thus they use their paws before sticking their face in the water. That article suggested putting a floating object in the water dish to help the cat know where the top of the water is. I tried this but Diego took it as another toy to play with and thus he was even more active swatting water all over the kitchen floor. He hadn't done this for awhile but the other day I found him standing in a puddle of water.

When he first moved in I used to holler at him whenever he misbehaved but this just seemed to bother Thompson more than the intended recipient. I hope this recent misbehavior is just another phase to our relationship.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

OMG, I laughed when I read this - Diego San is just like a kid trying to get some attention!

They so know what they are doing. I swear Kellie smirks at me when she scratches the sofa, and of course she only does this when she is ticked off at me.