Sunday, March 18, 2007

Uh Oh

Theo began having sneezing fits yesterday and it continued throughout the day today. He'll be fine for awhile and then all of a sudden he'll let go with a bunch (around 10 or so) sneezes. The last time this happened he was diagnosed with feline herpes. As bad as that sounds, apparently it is respiratory condition that is fairly common in cats. The symptoms went away in a week or so.

Unfortunately both Thompson and Diego soon came down with symptoms as well. In Thompson's case one evening he began acting really lethargic, refusing to get out of bed, and eventually lost his voice for a day or so. (That was really sad because the house isn't the same without the sound of Thompson's meow.)

Diego-san's case began shortly after and again it manifested itself with him acting very timid and tired. His symptoms also led to a lot of discharge from his eyes- so much that I ended up bringing him in to the vet and getting some medication.

What was even worse however was the disease kept going from one boy to the next. So once it had made its first round Theo began sneezing again, and then Thompson got sick and then Diego got sick. I began to worry that this would keep up forever and I'd never again have a healthy house of cats.

It did eventually go away. I sure hope that Theo's sneezing doesn't mean a repeat of this process. It isn't fun to see the boyz robbed of their health and energy.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh No! I hope that Theo is okay!

Nothing sounds sadder than the sneeze of a cat.

I hope Theo just has the sniffles and that Thompson and Diego Don't get sick also.

Whenever Kellie sneezes she looks so startled and looks at me as if I did something to her.

Dma said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dma said...

I had to chuckle about Kellie blaming you for her sneezing. The "best" part about poor Theo's sneezing fits is that many of them start while he's lying contently on my chest. This means of course I get a face full of Theo because it isn't likely I'll ever be successful teaching him to cover his mouth before he coughs.

gottagopractice said...

I recently read about using L-lysine to decrease FHV symptoms in cats on Leigh-Ann's blog, The Blog Pound, with an additional post about formulations. D- checked it out with FR, and turns out they use it to supplement their cats at the shelter. Might be worth looking into for the Boyz.

Dma said...

Thanks so much for the information. I will look into that.