Monday, September 26, 2022

Theo

Theo began taking medicine for his hyperthyroidism on Monday. He didn’t eat for the next four days. Friday, I called the vet and got an appetite stimulation drug prescribed. The medication is applied by rubbing it on the ear. It must have smelled interesting because Alias and Norma tried hanging around their tired brother. 

Theo did try to eat a little bit that evening but he threw everything he ate up. Saturday morning his full appetite returned so I haven’t had to apply the new medication since that first time. I stopped with the thyroid medication on Wednesday but the vet suggested Friday I try giving Theo a lower dose. I haven’t resumed that yet because I want Theo to eat several meals first. Hopefully we’ll figure all this out and keep Theo feeling as well as possible.
 

2 comments:

Mickey's Musings said...

Mum and I are sending lots and lots of prayers and purrs that Theo will feel like eating soon
Come on Theo, even if it is a small bit,just eat...please!
Purrs, Julie

The Island Cats said...

Sending many purrs to Theo. Many vets start the hyperthyroidism medication (I assume it’s methimazole?) at too high a dose and it can cause issues like you’re seeing with Theo. A lower dose may help. Also the transdermal version (you rub in the ear like the appetite stimulant you have (which I assume is Mirataz?)), can be better because it bypasses the GI tract and does not cause the loss of appetite, vomiting. Let me know if I can be of any help…I have been down this road.