Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Sounds of Silence

Things haven’t progressed any further with Theo’s acceptance of his new roomies. I began to wonder today if one of the issues might be his hearing. I noticed over the summer that he often would seemed startled when I approached him from behind and then came into his line of vision.

I’ve noticed that Norma and Alias might be in another room making a racket between their buffalo herd chasing each other to knocking things over and crashing into walls. Theo doesn’t react to any of it. I don’t know if his hearing is really an issue- he’s always been a spacey cat in his own world. When I first adopted him I wondered if it was possible for a cat to be autistic. Still, if he has lost his hearing I could see why it would be even more stressful to have two strange cats in the house that can pounce/attack him with his defenses down.... Just a theory....
 

6 comments:

Summer at sparklecat.com said...

Both Binga and Boodie lost a lot of hearing as they got older.

Mickey's Musings said...

Guess it is possible.
Some cats accept new additions more easily than others.
Purrs, Julie

da tabbies o trout towne said...

dood...cuzin daiz iz de same way with her hearin N cuzin boomer for sure
loozed hiz hearin....we think ewe will bee oh kay tho coz; ewe will still be
abe bull ta "smell" yur brother & sisturr..itz knot like they stinx; but
ewe noe....eye had a wee izzue with me hearin last year but it waz coz a
funkee waz in me ear drum ~~~ ♥♥☺☺

catladymac said...

When he isn't looking at you, drop a pan lid on the floor behind him. That's one safe way I have read to evaluate a cat's hearing loss.( Unless you know that would just upset him more.)It could explain some of his reactions.

catladymac said...

https://www.amazon.com/All-Cats-Are-Autism-Spectrum-ebook/dp/B089596SBC/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1606249951&sr=8-2

This is a book designed to present the aspects of autism to people dealing with it, but having dealt with both cats and elementary and junior high age kids it is truly informative,

The Island Cats said...

It’s a possibility. Hopefully, he’ll come around.