Thursday, April 20, 2023

Theo Update

Theo’s health took a serious decline the past week. He is barely able to use his back legs and he pretty much stopped using the litter box. He has diarrhea which has caused him to lose quite a bit of weight. I finally got a vet appointment but had to leave him there most of yesterday. The vet suspects the diarrhea is being caused by either an irritated bowel or intestinal cancer.

He isn’t sure what is causing the leg weakness but said often time that is caused by diabetes. So they did a blood and urine test. If Theo has diabetes it will make treating the other issues more difficult to treat because treatment of his bowel or intestines involves prednisone which raises the glucose level. With his litter box issues I have had to lock him in a room at night with his favorite cat bed and a litter box (and a lot of puppy pads). I feel bad about this because the past few months he has taken to sleeping at the foot of my bed, something he has never done in his life. 

The vet thinks it’s premature to let him go that we should try and treat whatever is causing the multiple issues. I don’t disagree although when I dropped Theo off at the vet yesterday, I really did wonder if he’d be coming back home.

 

2 comments:

Mickey's Musings said...

Purrs for Theo. I hope there is something the Vet can help with to allow Theo and you
some good quality time before he had to cross his Bridge.
Purrs, Julie

Gidget Blue Sky said...

oh gosh, we are purring hard fur you and theo