Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A Secret

The boyz and I have a little secret to share. For the past month we've contemplated adding a fourth boy to the house. His name is Cody.

Cody was found near a dumpster in a trailer park. One of his front legs was broken and it later had to be amputated. Two people associated with the rescue organization sent me Cody's information knowing about my absolute fondness for my life with Thompson and the fact that Cody looks a little like Thompson. At first I didn't even think about possibly adopting Cody, but the thought of giving him a good home eventually started playing on my mind. My city has a three cat per house limit, and to add any more requires me to obtain the signature of any neighbor living within 150 feet of our house.

I finally had a chance to meet Cody last Friday. During my entire visit to his foster home, he hid underneath a bed. His foster mother said he's a very shy boy right now- he's only recently finally gotten comfortable enough to climb in bed with her at night. She wasn't sure adding him to a house with three other male cats would work very well. Currently his housemates are two female cats. When I first started thinking I might be interested in adopting him I thought about if it would be unfair to him since there is a pecking order in our house, a very set routine and it would definitely take an effort on everyone's part to accept him into that order and routine. I know it would happen eventually but I don't want to add unneeded stress to a life that already has had a difficult beginning.

I'm not sure what the final decision will be, but whatever I decide I really really hope Cody finds a great home...

4 comments:

Daisy said...

You are so thoughtful to think about what would be best for Cody. Cody sounds like a very sensitive soul!

Katnip Lounge said...

Cody looks like a very nice guy...can you do a trial run? It might go better than you think. My boys are far better with newbies than the girls. Just another butt to sniff.

Joan said...

So glad you are thinking about him still. The love of his own person would certainly outweigh any initial stress of moving homes :) And maybe Theo would draw Cody out a bit by playing with him.

The Island Cats said...

We're kinda rooting for you to take Cody. We bet the boyz would love another brother.