Thursday, September 03, 2020

Diego-san

He’s gone. My heart is broken.

Just about every night for the past 17 years he would sleep snuggled up next to me, pushed up against my arm pit, head on my shoulder. When I watched TV he would nap on my chest, softly purring away. He loved trying to rub his face against my face, not something I was terribly fond of, but there was no denying Diego-san. This summer as his health deteriorated, my new favorite thing to do was to push my finger deep into his paw and he would close his claws around it and squeeze back. It was like we were holding hands.

His paws were the size of a bear’s, and his tail huge and floofy (the vet techs always commented on his impressive tail). His fur was silky soft. His big personality filled our house. All the nights I was learning to play guitar, singing my heart out at the top of my lungs, Diego-san would sit right next to me, looking slightly irritated by the noise, but his favorite place was always by my side.

When my first cat, Mr. Max, who saw me through some of my lowest moments, passed away, I didn’t think I could ever go through that kind of pain again. Months later, I’d still look for Max around every corner, still expected to see him rush excitedly to the door when I got home from work (only to turn around seemingly disappointed it was only me), and even missed how he drooled when he purred soaking a t-shirt or two. I was scolded by a fellow cat lover for my selfishness. Since I gave Mr. Max a good home for all those years, and there were so many cats in need of a good home, I was being selfish by trying to avoid future heartbreak. So I decided to adopt two cats so when the day came and one of them died, the other one would still be around to offer comfort.

I visited the cat shelter looking for two cats that got along well. I was told about two the shelter was looking to adopt together, one, Thompson, a “special needs” cat who had lost a leg. Thompson had bonded with Diego-san so the hope was they could stay together. When I visited the boyz at their foster home, Diego-san pranced his proud prance to check out the visitor to his home. He all but crawled up my legs into my arms. I watched Thompson taking it all in, looking apprehensive as if trying to decide if he should run and hide. But it was like once Diego let him know I was OK, he came and checked me out too. I was all set to take them home right there and then. A friend cautioned however, that I shouldn’t rush into a decision. 

The next week there was an adoption show at Petco that Diego and Thompson were going to be at. I decided to go see them again. All the attention was on Diego and his friendliness and handsomeness, his strut and his swagger. I heard several inquire if they could adopt him alone but were told the preference was that he be adopted with his buddy Thompson. My heart melted because without Thompson, I wasn’t sure I would have adopted Diego. I loved the idea that Diego bonded with Thompson as much as Thompson bonded with Diego. I saw them together and they needed to stay together.

When I brought them to their new home it surprised me that when I let them out of their carriers, Diego bolted to the dark basement not to reappear for the next three days. Thompson was the braver one checking out every inch of his new home (I’m sure noticing Mr. Max’s scent). He even sat in my lap for a while that first night. I was worried about Diego, put some food and water out for him and on the third night I woke up during the night and noticed him next to my bed looking at me. The next day he didn’t disappear into the basement and the big personality I saw when I visited him reappeared. 

I was impressed by Diego-san’s athleticism. He was brilliant at catching bugs, flies, and moths. He was able to leap onto counters, the stove, the refrigerator and the high basement windows, places Max, Thompson, and later Theo, never even attempted to get to. Diego’s fearlessness frightened me some because it led to some accidents. I always figured he would be the first to go because of his reckless curiosity. There was the great soup incident when I spilled some soup on him not seeing him waiting to leap onto the stove. It burned him and he then became much more cautious when he saw me carrying pans and bowls. There was the night I noticed blood by the litter box and when I tried to grab him, he leaped into the unfinished basement ceiling. I called the fire department to see if they could help me (they couldn’t). I called a friend whose soothing voice coaxed Diego out from hiding. There was the time he scratched a hole in the window screen and escaped the house. I found him sitting on the outside window ledge shaking like a bunny as the busy traffic in front of our house buzzed on by.

He was the smartest cat I’ve ever met. He loved to wrestle Thompson. One day the two of them took their pre-pile stances. Suddenly Diego swatted Thompson’s lone front leg out from underneath him and then jumped on his now prone buddy. It was a mean move taking advantage of Thompson’s handicap, but I was impressed by Diego figuring out such an effective wrestling move.

Our special time together was right before bedtime when I would comb his long silky fur. He loved being combed and loved the special attention. This summer he stopped wanting to be combed because apparently it no longer felt good. I missed our special time together. I’ll forever miss our special time together. If there was something good that came out of the 2020 apocalypse, it was working at home allowed me to spend all day and night with the boyz. Diego-san made sure he appeared in every Zoom, Webex, Teams, Skype video meeting I participated in. He made appearances in trainings, legislative hearings and even during a court deposition. I was blessed having this extra time together with Diego as he got sicker and weaker.

I knew the end was near but the suddenness of his death is devastating. He died alone in another room. I wasn’t there to say goodbye. I needed to write this tonight. I needed to. The tears may never stop and my heart is broken.
 

31 comments:

Summer at sparklecat.com said...

I'm so sorry about Diego. Lots and lots of purrs to you.

Angel Prancer Pie said...

So sorry for your loss. Sending purrs of comfort.

Milo and Alfie Marshall said...

So very sorry. Thank you for loving him so much.♥️

Mickey's Musings said...

We are so sorry that Diego is gone. Having a friend for so long makes it harder to say goodbye.
Diego had a pawsome life with you and was very happy.
A part of him will always be with you.
Hugs and purrs.
Purrs,Julie
and "mum" Nancy

Helen said...

Our hearts break for your loss. We know all too well the pain. We are so very sorry for your loss of that beautiful boy. ((( hugs))) 💔

Mr Puddy said...

It's heart broken news. I'm so so sorry for Diego. He is one of special kitties I know.
Sending soft purring to comfort you.
Hugs

The Island Cats said...

We are so sorry. Our hearts are breaking along with yours. Purrs and hugs...

Random Felines said...

We care so very sorry

da tabbies o trout towne said...

diego, we will cry right along with your dad. we enjoyed reading your story and learning more about you; and we know for a fact, if you could speak "human" you would say to your dad, thanx dad for everything; I love you too and I always will ♥♥♥♥

regardless of dad's faith, we hope he knows that St Francis stayed by your side, every
step of the way to heaven; he saw to it that you weren't afraid, felt alone or had
any suffering, and he led you to thompson.

we are truly truly sorry, and send hugs and loves to you, dad, and theo ♥♥♥♥♥

Tama-Chan, Benny, Vidock, Violette, Ollie, Heloise, Momo, Ryu said...


We are newcomers but we heard about Diego-San and came over to read your beautiful tribute to this wonderful boy. We are so sorry for your loss. He was clearly very, very special.

Purrs, Woofs, Neighs and Hugs,
Everyone at The Poupounette

Lily said...

We’re so sorry for your loss

My Mind's Eye said...

da Tabbies o Trout Towne
Told us about your handsome Diego we have posted about him
here
http://blogvillepotp.blogspot.com/2020/09/diego-otrb.html#comment-form
Hugs Cecilia

Brian's Home Blog said...

We are so sorry to hear about your dear Diego and we send love, hugs and purrs to you.

Peachy, Stippie, Angel Binky and Granny said...

So sorry for the loss of your beloved Diego. Soft Pawkisses to comfort you🐾😽💞
Fly free beautiful Soul💗

catladymac said...

We are so sorry for the loss of Diego-San. But he may have chosen to go on to his next adventure alone to spare you even more pain. Purrayers and Power of the Paw to you and Theo

M Dawson said...

Oh wow - you were so SO lucky to have them both. You took both when shallow people only wanted the one (thank you) and were blessed with so much love.

I know losing them hurts like hell on earth (I just lost 2 close together to sympathise deeply) and I know you have lost a unique and one in a million million cat. Just hold on and keep going. One paw step and one day at a time.

* HUGE HUGS *

Marjorie

Katnip Lounge said...

My heart breaks with yours. I feel so lucky to have "met" Diego-San; thank you for sharing his wonderfulness. xx

Timmy Tomcat said...

We are so sorry to hear this. We know he was a special fellow and was welcomed at the Bridge. Fly free Deigo San. You were loved and gave love back. That is the best life we can have
Timmy, Dad and Family

Shaggy and Scout said...

Shaggy and Scooby welcome their friend Diego-san to the Rainbow Bridge. Thompson is there too, along with all the beloved cat blogging friends we made through the years.
Our hearts are broken too, it is such a terrible thing to love so fiercely and mourn so deeply.
Love, Lynne and Scout

pilch92 said...

This was a beautiful tribute. I am so sorry for the loss of your sweet and handsome boy. XO

AngelSmokey, Butterfly, Peekaboo! said...

We are so sorry for your loss and such a lovely tribute. 😔😿🐾💕

ZOOLATRY said...

I am so very sorry you have lost your beautiful boy, may he be at peace beyond his rainbow.
My name is Ann, from the blog Zoolatry, and also the blog Our Rainbow Friends. I create Rainbow Bridge images for pets around the blog community and have done so for many years, and each month on Our Rainbow Friends we remember those loved and lost the month before. There is never a charge, it is only our way to forever keep in memory those special to use. I would like to honor and include your Diego-San. Please feel free to email me, zoolatry at gmail if this is something you would like me to do for him, for you. If you'd like to view these blogs, before deciding, the links are here. Again, our sympathy for your loss.
zoolatry dot blogspot dot com
our rainbow friends dot blogspot dot come

Darla M Sands said...

It sounds like your heart and home are bursting with love. I'm so sorry for this devastating hole in both. ~hugs~ Please know you've inspired me more than ever to add more felines to our currently one-cat home. We've been loathe to upset elder Jezebel's life, but a bonded pair seems ideal.

KitKat said...

So very sorry for the loss of your precious boy.
With deepest condolences.
Joan Ryan and Grady Lewis

The Adventures of Scarlett and Melly said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Diego sounds like a truly special cat, and you clearly brought each other so much joy.

-Natalie (from The Adventures of Scarlett & Melly)

Gidget Blue Sky said...

we are so sorry your buddy runned off to the rainbow brudge

Basil and The B Team ~ BionicBasil ® said...

We are so very sorry for your loss, RIP Diego, we'll light one of our special BBHQ Rainbow candles in his honour tonight. Big hugs and gentle purrs to mew all xox

Melissa, Mudpie and Angel Truffles (Mochas, Mysteries and Meows) said...

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Sending gentle purrs of comfort your way.

John Bellen said...

What a glorious life Diego led with you, his family. He was the best of friends for Thomspon - even if he could play dirty sometimes! - and the best of friends for his humans. Godspeed, Diego, and God bless his family.

Lola The Rescued Cat said...

We are so very sorry for your loss. We're sending healing purrs.

VickyC said...

So sorry for your loss. Sending purrs and soft head bonks your way.