Saturday, August 04, 2007

Ouch

This past week Minnesota Twins traded away my favorite player, Luis Castillo. Castillo only played for the Twins one and a half seasons but he proved he was a very good, consistent second baseman and leadoff hitter. The reason he was my favorite player was he came across slightly goofy. Before each inning he would be the last to take his place on the infield and when he did run out of the dugout he would run in a circular path around the infield to his position. He would take his first practice throw from first baseman Justin Morneau and lob a high throw back. Before each at bat he would stand back to back with the umpire and make a cross before going to the batter's box. He was a fast runner but he walked around like a 90 year old man. I loved this combination of very good and idiosyncratic player.

Today, I felt a little like Luis Castillo. My softball team participated in the annual all day tournament. There were 16 teams and essentially you play until you lose two games. Usually we only win once and get eliminated by noon. Today we won our first game (I leadoff with a home run to set the tone) and also won our next two. We lost our first game after lunch and played two more before losing a second time to finish in second place. We lost both games to the ultimate champion, the local public radio station. By the third or fourth game my legs were aching and like Castillo I was hobbling around like a very old man.

The boyz must have missed their normal Saturday routine though, because when I got home I lay on the couch and took a nap while Diego and Thompson took turns sleeping on my chest. Theo quietly watched on the sofa across the living room.

2 comments:

Daisy said...

Congratulations on your good showing at the baseball tournament!

I wanted to tell you that we watched Black Snake Moan last night, and it was a very good movie! Thanks for the suggestion. Oh, and we got our iPhone last weekend, too!

Dma said...

Glad you enjoyed Black Snake Moan. I rewatched it over the weekend and continue to think it's a movie that tried hard to be different and the way it incorporated music was fab. I'm sure you're enjoying your iPhone. I'm already lost when I don't have mine around...