Thursday, July 26, 2007

Movie Recommendation

I watched Black Snake Moan last night. It was the best movie I've seen in a while.

Essentially the story is not so much about redemption and salvation, but rather about how some lost souls are able to connect and comfort each other and by the end of the movie, end up in a slightly better place, with slightly more hope.

The blues music in the movie is terrific. Samuel L. Jackson does a passable job as a down and out blues singer. The movie opens with an interview with one of my favorite blues singers, Son House, and by the end of the movie everything Son has said, is reinforced.

Black Snake Moan is more of an uplifting fable than a cautionary tale based in reality. On the other hand, it's gritty realism hits hard and it isn't a PG feel good movie you'd watch with the kids. But it's got an emotional wallop that's well earned and Christina Ricci's performance is as naked, daring, and true a performance as you're gonna see in a movie.

The boyz and I give it a hearty paws up.

2 comments:

Daisy said...

That looks great. We love Samuel L. Jackson. My Mommie added it to our Netflix queue.

Unknown said...

I have never heard of that movie, but I will have my Mum keep an eye out for it.