Thursday, July 12, 2007

The Kitty in the Mirror

What's the deal with cats and mirrors?

I used to amuse myself by holding the late great Mr. Max in front of a mirror. Max would do everything in his power to avoid looking at his reflection. He'd look up. He'd look down. He'd look left. He'd look right. He'd look at me and past himself. But no matter what, he would never look at that kitty in the mirror.

I've tried the same thing with the three boyz. Theo doesn't ever seem to be looking at anything in particular and like Max, when held in front of the mirror he certainly won't look at himself. Thompson seems to like looking at things in the mirror and he occasionally seems to take a glimpse at his reflection.

Diego-san on the other hand might be betraying his obvious vanity. He'll look directly at his reflection without flinching seemingly curious about how handsome that boy on the other side really is. I do suspect he might be far sighted, evidenced by his difficulty drinking water out of a bowl- so maybe he really isn't completely fascinated by how he looks but rather like me, it's a vision thing.

2 comments:

Daisy said...

I like to look at my reflection. Then I do the "Machine Paw" and scratch, scratch, scratch away at the mirror. It is very fun.

Unknown said...

I think it must be a boy thing! Like Daisy, I love to look at myself in the mirror. I do head butts with the mirror kitty and gaze lovingly into its eyes.