Tuesday, September 04, 2018

Update



It’s been three weeks now since we lost Thompson. The past few days I think we have started settling into our new normal.

Both Diego-san and Theo showed signs of grieving the loss of their brother. Diego-san was mostly avoiding me, staying near but not hopping up on my lap or sleeping either on me or next to me like he normally does. He also has shown little interest in his nightly combing session, a staple of our 15 year relationship. The past couple of days he has returned to those things and he’s also shown a lot more energy.

Theo has spent a lot more time by himself than he normally does. He’s also been howling a lot, something he learned from Thompson. Saddest of all, he’s spending time sniffing Thompson’s favorite sleeping spots. He used to love sleeping next to Thompson and grooming his brother, both things Diego-san doesn’t tolerate. The past couple of days Theo has taken naps on my chest, something he has done off and on over the years. I’m trying to give him even more of my attention since I know he misses Thompson’s company.

As for me, I miss Thompson terribly. Our special time the past couple of years was weekend mornings where I’d listen to music and read a book. Thompson always took his place next to me, often resting his head on my arm. I will miss that time together for the rest of my life.


5 comments:

Summer at sparklecat.com said...

I hope that someday, your new normal won't ache so much. Purrs to you.

Mickey's Musings said...

It is hard getting into new routines and finding a new normal.
We purr it happens soon and also what Summer said. Purrs.
Purrs Georgia,Julie and JJ

catladymac said...

Off to a start, at least. Purrayers that the boys begin to settle in ... it's a hard time for all of you !

The Island Cats said...

It’s a difficult time, we know. Sending lots of purrs.....

da tabbies o trout towne said...

It takes time; and you need to take all the time you need. Sauce has been gone
for over 5 years now and I think, even tho he and tuna disliked each other; I think
tuna still misses his shelter pal ~~~~~~ It's a promise that one day, everyone, will
have found peace in their hearts ♥♥♥