Wednesday, December 19, 2007

The Rest of the Story

The first time I met Thompson and Diego-san was at their foster home. I had read their bios on the web site of the shelter they were both brought to.

Diego-san had been described as ultra friendly. Thompson's description mostly had to do with how well he got along with his pal Diego.

When I met them Diego lived up to his billing by greeting me and all but climbing up on me and jumping in my arms. Thompson stayed his distance, checking out how I reacted to Diego. Their reactions are similar to how they still greet strange visitors to the house.

After a while Thompson did hobble over although it was Diego that demanded all the attention. The next visit was at Petco where they both were part of an adoption show at the store. I didn't get to spend much time with them as Diego was basking in all the attention he was being given by all the people stopping by. I visited them one more time at their foster home but truthfully my mind was made up during the first visit just by watching Thompson.

The boyz surprised me the first night at their new house. Diego seemed completely lost and he immediately ran downstairs and hid out of sight somewhere in the basement. Thompson went from room to room thoroughly checking out his new home. He spent a lot of time with me, seemingly happy that he was the one getting all the attention as his buddy remained unsure of what to make of the situation. I woke up that first night to see Diego standing at the side of my bed looking at me. When I reached down to pet him he ran away. It took him a few days to do the house exploration thing and he hasn't looked back since. Thompson and I really bonded that first night and I have remained forever thankful that of the several cats I did look at during the adoption process, I ended up with these two boyz....

3 comments:

Daisy said...

Daisy's Mom: I think you are lucky, and they are lucky! But you were smart, too. People should always ask the shelter workers which cats they "recommend." I can always tell you which cats are super friendly, which are fighters, which are shy, and which don't get along with other cats. Most of the time, people just want to pick the cutest little kitten.

Dma said...

I actually did ask the shelter staff a lot of questions- i knew i wanted two cats and wondered what the best combination: male and male, female and female, male and female- was as far as the two getting along. I thought about adopting a mother and one of her kittens together but was told that often doesn't work so well.

i am lucky that the two boyz do get along great. i think it helped thompson heal by living with another cat and diego is lucky to have a roommate who is so devoted to him...

Unknown said...

Oh that is such a nice story. My Mum's eyes are leaking. It is so nice that Diego and Thompson bonded so well and that they got to go to a furrever home together!