Monday, September 21, 2020

State of Things

At the beginning of this 2020 never leave my house, work from home situation, I decided it might be a great opportunity to bring another cat into the house because ever since Thompson died two years ago, Theo has really struggled not having another cat to snuggle, clean, and play with. Thompson was his go to guy for the first two of those activities. Diego-San wanted none of it with his brother. I thought since I was home all the time I could better supervise the introduction of another cat into the home. I decided against it for two reasons: Diego-san’s declining health and not wanting to add stress into his life; and Theo’s peeing issue and not wanting to bring another cat into the house believing this is a litter box optional house.

I know Theo needs other cats in our house. When he first joined us, it was clear I was his third favorite housemate. He spent almost all his time with Thompson and limited moments with Diego-San all during his time living with me. When Diego-San died I knew I needed to give myself time to grieve an overwhelming loss. (This weekend was the first time I could go to our basement/man/bear cave) to watch TV and take long naps... something I shared with Diego-San all these years together...) I also knew I will eventually adopt another cat (or two) so for Theo’s sake it makes no sense to delay the inevitable. 

I checked the website of the shelter I adopted all three boyz from and was surprised to see only two cats available for adoption, neither who seemed like a good fit. I guest the work from home situation isn’t unique to us and others have decided to adopt cats as well. I, of course, immediately told Theo I should adopt him to another for $1,000 since there seems to be a shortage of available cats. He didn’t blink an eye so I retracted my joke.

My boss’ wife is a cat lover and they recently took in a mother cat and five kittens. Two of the kittens have found a home. I hope to meet two of the other kittens (and the mother cat) to join Theo and myself. I’m not sure what I’ll decide but 2020 has been a crazy year... a sad sad year so we’ll see.



6 comments:

Summer at sparklecat.com said...

I really do hope you can bring one of these babies home.

Mickey's Musings said...

It is hard to find the right cat.
I purr that you have good luck soon.
Cats are amazing companions.
Purrs,Julie

da tabbies o trout towne said...

theo; we hope that soon; ewe will be big bother two a sisturr brother sisturr and brother; de wee kittenz bee total lee awesum :).... ♥♥♥

we iz glad dad waz able bull ta head down starez N chillax; tho if him izza vikingz fan.....uh....sorree !!!

Timmy Tomcat said...

The loss of a long time fur friend is really devastating but in time the pain turns to fond memory of the loving times. Those kittens look really fun and if it is right it will happen

catladymac said...

Sending purrayers to you and Theo and the kittens you are going to look at.

The Island Cats said...

It’s difficult when you lose a long-time fur companion but I think you’re doing the right thing for Thompson and you too in the long runI hope it works out. And for some reason, shelters are low in cats. I know the shelter I volunteer with is going through the same thing. Our cat numbers have been low all year so far. Usually we’re busting at the seams with cats but not this year. ~Island Cat Mom