Monday, May 30, 2016

Dangling Conversation

One of the boards I volunteer on sponsored a community dinner last week.  I was fortunate enough to be seated next to one of the entertainers - a young chinese singer named Yanyan Guo. She performed a lovely Chinese folk song which she later explained to me was named something akin to "A Single Glass of Wine."

I tried my best to have a conversation with her and learn more about her life. Unfortunately, her English wasn't very good and my hearing issue (which is exacerbated in rooms with a lot of activity and conversation) made it difficult to hear what I might have been able to understand. So 90 percent of our conservation the other person probably didn't fully understand what the other person was saying.

As I went home that evening it hit me that really probably isn't all that unusual with any of my conversations these days including the ones I try to have with the boyz.

2 comments:

Mickey's Musings said...

Noisy places are hard on conversation.
Language barriers are even harder.
Sometimes we kitties have selective hearing ;) MOL!
Purrs Georgia and Julie,
Treasure and JJ

The Island Cats said...

You mean you haven't learned how to understand cat yet? ;)