Thursday, October 22, 2015

Foodies

When I brought Diego-san in for his medical issue a couple of weeks ago, I mentioned to the vet that Diego has been throwing up a lot this year (once or twice a week). The vet ran a test on Diego's thyroid.  The test showed the thyroid was OK.

The next suggestion from the vet was to put Diego on prescription food. The theory being Diego has developed an allergy to his normal food.  This was also something the staff person at our friendly pet store mentioned- that over time cats can develop allergies to the food they've been eating for years.  So I picked up some of the prescription food. I had a choice, wet or dry, and picked wet since the boyz have really taken to the recent migration to canned food. I figured Diego-san would be more likely to accept the change in his diet with wet food involved.

I tried feeding Theo and Thompson the normal dried food and when I gave Diego-san his first round of the prescription food.  Thompson would have no part of that arrangement- trying his best to get at Diego-san's food. After a couple more tries I gave up and fed Thompson some canned food too.  I kept Theo on dried food and only the past few meals has he suspected something is up that he's missing out on.

The good news in all of this is Thompson is eating a lot more than he has in a while.  Hopefully he can gain back some of the weight he has lost.  Now I just have to figure out what to do with the big bag of dried food I bought not too long ago...

5 comments:

Summer at sparklecat.com said...

The whole food thing can be pretty complicated with us kitties! My human knows the story well.

The Island Cats said...

You might want to give them a mix of canned and dry food until the dry is gone. Or donate the bag to your local shelter. We're glad Thompson is eating more.

Bulldoggrrl said...

Yippee for Thompson! Maybe he will be on the road to feeling better with some nommy food in his tummy. Plus, although my 8 eat dried food, wet food is much better for fighting kidney issues. That's the good thing :)

Many hugs and purrs to Thompson and his brofurs and hoping their (and your) weekend is wonderful.

Katnip Lounge said...

More food = WONDERFUL!

You might try crushing up the kibbles and sprinkling the powder on some wet for Theo--this is how we got Kona to make the swap.

Denise said...

Feline Rescue Outreach Program might accept the food as a donation or I could get it to Red Lake Rosie's Rescue as a donation.