Thursday, February 10, 2011

My Morning Chore

I decided that before I scampered off to another day at the office, I needed to start addressing some rather large ice dams building up on our house's roof. For you non-arctic weather dwellers, ice dams form in the gutters of the roof where ice builds up and doesn't allow the melting snow to drain. This can cause some severe water damage to a home.

We have some impressive ice dams growing on our roof- but luckily no water damage thus far. One way to deal with ice dams is to shovel the snow off the roof. I have a roof rake which allows me to get quite a bit of snow standing on the ground without having to climb up on the icy roof. I decided another method would be to throw Diego-san up on the roof and have him use his massive tail to swish the snow off.

I discussed the plan with Diego but he didn't seem too keen on the idea. Theo joined our conversation and seemed to indicate a willingness to volunteer but quite frankly I don't think Theo has the tail to be all that effective. Moments later I was out in the frigid cold raking the snow off the house and onto my head.

4 comments:

Shaggy and Scout said...

We've got some big un's on our side of town too. Haven't raked the roof yet, husband is lazy but there are huge drifts up there!
I offered Shaggs the opportunity to earn his keep with the tail swishing idea but he squinted at me and went to take a nap.
sss's mom

Katnip Lounge said...

Lousy Cats. Mine refuse to do chores as well.

The Island Cats said...

Diego-san is too smart to climb up there and use his tail to brush the snow off!! But we're wondering about Theo....

Angel MoMo and Charlotte said...

Diego-san is one smart kitty!