Monday, July 21, 2008

That's Too Bad

I was sad to see that Roger Ebert announced that he is discontinuing his association with the long running movie review show that bears his last name. The show's co-host for the past eight years, Richard Roeper, also announced he is leaving the show.

I started watching Siskel and Ebert way back when I was in high school and the show was on PBS. I've hardly missed an episode in all that time because it was always wonderful to see two guys do reviews who loved movies at least as much as I did. I love Roger's writing and I miss Gene Siskel a lot. One of the things I did when I visited Chicago last year was to stop in and see Gene's theater.

I know a lot of people were greatly saddened by Tim Russert's death and the hole that left on the long running 'Meet the Press' program. While this news doesn't directly relate to a death (Gene died in 1999 and Roger hasn't appeared on the show in two years due to health issues), today it feels as if I've lost a lifelong friend.

1 comment:

meemsnyc said...

That's so sad. I used to like watching that show too!