Monday, June 16, 2008

Soy... It's the Other White Meat... Well Sorta

A few months ago I learned I have the highest cholesterol ever recorded in human history.

Because I'm not a big fan of medication and because I know my diet hasn't always been the best (what- you all don't snack on sticks of butter?), I decided I would improve my diet and get more exercise. I've been eating a lot of soy based products and to my surprise, many of them aren't that bad. The tofu based chicken patties and hamburgers are actually pretty tasty and I haven't found myself hankering for a real hamburger.

The other day I picked up some hamburger buns that were on sale and I didn't look at the nutrition information until I got home and was fixing dinner. To my surprise the buns had 3% of the daily recommended amount of cholesterol. I checked the back of the tofu hamburger box and saw the patties had 0% of the daily recommended amount of cholesterol. This meant that my bun and more cholesterol than my patty. Hmmmm.

P.S. I was making a stir fry the other day and I dropped a piece of fried tofu on the ground. Diego-san quickly snarfed it down and must have thought it was pretty good because soon he was begging to be fed more.

6 comments:

Gizmo said...

Hello boyz! My name is Gizmo and me and my mommy sat around the other day and read all of your posts! We think it is awesome how your daddy took in all 3 of you. Especially with your booboo's. Mommy thinks that anyone that does that is a very good person. Well, my two human brothers are waking up so Mommy says I must go. Thanks again for some good readin the other day!

Daisy said...

My Mommie is a vegetarian, so she eats a lot of that weird stuff. She likes "Grillers Prime" fake burgers, "Spicy Black Bean Patties" and "Smart Dogs" for hot dogs. But she also eats junk like 3-cheese Bagel Bites.

Ana said...

Diego-san likes to eat tofu? That sounds weird.

We have a kind of minced meat here which is not real meat (don't ask me what it actually is ;-), the cats don't even look at it!

Anonymous said...

Tofu? Ummm... No, we don't think so.

Parker said...

Just don't tell Diego-san that it's tofu, as a kitty, he'd be mortified! Tell him it's beef, yeah, beef! RRrrrooooWW!

Unknown said...

Oh, I don't think I would like tofu, although my Mum says it is actually quite tasty when cooked properly. I think I will stay with my kitty kibble thanks.