Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Trapped

The word "trapped" is probably about the least favorite word in the world for Thompson.

A couple of years ago I got a Target gift card from my boss at the record store I used to work for. Rather than buy socks and laundry detergent I decided to buy something I would always associate with my 19 years working for the company. Mixing practicality with this sentimentality I settled on a wood storage crate/box. It has a door on top with hinges in the back so it lifts up to open. Shortly after I sweated away assembling my box Diego-san discovered he could lift the top with his nose and hop in to a secluded spot the others didn't seem to be able to follow him into.

Well the other morning Diego lifted the top a nudge and hopped in. When he was ready to get out he nudged the top open a little wider. I didn't think anything of it and went about my business. I noticed after a while I hadn't seen or heard from Thompson in a while so I went to look for him and couldn't find him anywhere. I walked by the wooden box and saw it was closed. It occurred to me what might have happened. Sure enough I opened the top and there was Thompson with an anxious look on his face. He hopped out as soon as he saw the light.

I'm guessing the top was open far enough for him to finally see the spot Diego had claimed as his own. Once inside one of the other two boyz must have jumped on the top and trapped Thompson inside. He could have nudged it open with his head but since was all this was brand new for him, I'm sure he wasn't sure what he should do. He hasn't tried to get back inside since.

1 comment:

Daisy said...

Poor Thompson! That must have been very, very scairty.