Thursday, August 02, 2007

In the News

A bridge collapsed near downtown Minneapolis yesterday. It was part of the interstate that runs between the two twin cities.

I don't usually cross the bridge on a daily basis- probably only go that way 50 times a year because traffic is usually terrible in the area and I tend to use the side streets. The last time I crossed the bridge was after working late into the evening and since it is part of the quickest route home I decided to go that way. I discovered it was down to one lane due to construction so I made a mental note not to use that way the rest of the summer.

I had a friend coming over last night that lives near that area and I was telling her over the weekend that she probably wanted to take the side streets to my house because of the construction. When I turned on the news my thoughts immediately flashed to her wondering which way she decided to come. Thankfully she did avoid the freeway and she even called me to tell me she was going to be late because traffic in the area was understandably horrible.

As I watched the news coverage Thompson hopped up next to me and I couldn't help but think how random and sudden life is and how something can happen in the next minute that will change you forever. Thompson is such a great soul to share such thoughts with.

2 comments:

Daisy said...

Thank goodness you and your friend are safe. That was a very terrible tragedy.

Unknown said...

Oh dear, I heard about that - I hadn't realized it was in your city! I'm glad your friend was alright. Yes, it makes you realize how fragile life is. Very sad.