Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Challenger

My relationship with Diego-san has grown over the years. When he first moved in, it seemed as if he spent sixty percent of his time challenging me. He immediately got into things that Mr. Max never even dared during his many years in this house (on top of the refrigerator, behind piles of boxes in the basement, behind stacks of old windows in the basement).

Ever since Theo has arrived Diego has seemed a bit more needy of my attention. Thompson used to devote on him but with Theo around Thompson's attention is split. Thus there are times Diego's ultra friendly personality latches on to me more than ever before. Our time before bedtime when I comb him is the most common bonding time but there are other times during the day as well. When I go down to clean out the litter box, Diego races down the stairs and rolls around the cement floor by the boxes where all the loose litter has spilt out. I rub his ample belly and all things right in the world for the both of us.

He's got the ultimate feline personality- mysterious at times, goofy other times, constantly curious, with a canine like friendliness he shows to our visitors.

No comments: