Saturday, April 08, 2006

Cynically Yours

The reason we're in Cleveland is to take an election administration class. Believe you me the irony of taking an election administration class in Ohio, the state that had the most election administration problems in 2004, isn't lost on me.

The professor opened the class today by saying what a big baseball fan he is but the greatest sport of all is the lawmaking process. I respectfully, with hand flailing away, disagreed with the premise. This isn't a game and I don't know if those who can decide such things see the folly in that. Those paying attention to our public policy making procedures should be cynical. Uninformed votes, partisan allegience, power hungry decision makers aren't a good thing for our democracy. If you care deeply about an issue I say stick by your guns no matter how obstinate or stubborn you appear. That just doesn't happen enough.

No comments: